This is going to be the first Father's Day that I cannot wish my dad a happy Father's Day in person. Don't worry he is still living we are just separated by a mere 1,633 miles. That's a lot considering I have lived within a 280 mile radius of him my whole 29 years of life, and as close as 2 miles from drive way to drive way for a couple years. I miss living close to my dad and spending time together. Especially the afternoons together after he would bring over pizza and bread sticks for lunch for me and the kids. The last couple of weeks I have been thinking of all of the many things that my dad has taught me and wanted to share some of them with you.
My dad has taught me:
- the name of almost all of the mountain ranges in Utah
- gun safety
- freedom is not free
- how to shoot at a still and a moving target
- if you are going to do something, do it right (not half assed as he would say)
- to show affection - hug, kiss and give suskies to those you love
- to respect my elders
- how to drive a stick shift (oh I miss old greenie)
- to change the oil
- to fix a flat tire
- that adults wish they got grounded sometimes
- how to answer a question (the answer to what time do you want to leave is not blue)
- how to light fireworks
- it is better to bear the shame than to bear the pain
- to buy only what you can afford
- that money doesn't grow on trees
- to be patriotic
- to love oldies music
- how to check the fluids in my car
- to neither question or argue with him
- how to put up a tent
- to create things
- how to secure just about anything (boats, tents etc.)
- how to calculate mpg
- that you can stick just about anything in pancakes and they still taste good
- honesty and trust
- doing things as a family is important
- North, South, East, West
- that he cares about the things I do - in high school he went to almost all of my volleyball games and my orchestra concerts, as an adult my triathlons and all of my kids event
- when it is time to go, you shouldn't be upstairs cleaning toilets
- to drive a boat, snowmobile, four wheeler, motorcycle, go cart and lawn mower, (actually he made me read the entire riding lawn mover manual before I could drive that)
- having one good friend that accepts and understands you is more important than having 20 friends that don't
- things can always be improved upon
- the state capitals
- how to gut a deer
- to be on time (or be left)
- and many many other things
And for everything my dad has taught me I am so grateful, you have made me the person I am today. I love you dad! XOXOX

1 comments:
Ok, I couldn't stop laughing at some of these and I had to explain most of them to Dustin. I forgot all about suskies!Those were some funny memories.
Post a Comment